Celebrate National Doughnut Day With Free Doughnuts at These Locations!
Apple| | By Jason Owen
or savory) bakery treat will likely be emglazeoned all over your social media feed – not too mention work desk. To help celebrate, here’s a little history behind the commemoration as well as a list of all the places to get your sweets fix.Doughnuts! Doughnuts everywhere!! June 3 marks National Doughnut Day 2016 and the sweet (
Did you know that National Doughnut Day was actually started as a wartime celebration? During World War I, Army soldiers serving in France were provided the complimentary sweet treat with a cup of coffee by the Salvation Army’s “doughnut lassies.” One food historian credits the Salvation Army for making the doughnut a beloved household item. National Doughnut Day was later started by the Salvation Army during the Great Depression as a way to commemorate the “lassies” who volunteered during the war and as a way to raise funds and bring awareness to the volunteer group’s social service programs and to remind people the benefits of volunteering. Now that you know where National Doughnut Day came from, where can you get your hands on a free doughnut? Here are the best deals.
- Krispy Kreme: Every customer can choose one free doughnut on Friday, June 3, no purchase necessary, but the company encourages donations to The Salvation Army (People).
- Dunkin Donuts: Get one free doughnut with the purchase of any beverage (People).
- Entenmann’s: An estimated 150,000 doughnuts will be given away in cities around the country, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Louisville, New Haven, New York City, and San Diego. You can also enter to win free doughnuts for a year through Entenmann’s Facebook sweepstakes.
- Giant Eagle: Giant Eagle supermarket locations offer a half-dozen donuts for free when you purchase a half-dozen not only this National Doughnut Day, but every Friday throughout the year (People).
- Hy-Vee: 9-count doughnut puffs are just $1 today. Doughnut forget!!
- Tim Hortons: No freebies this year, but Tim Hortons is offering a National Doughnut Day coupon good for a half-dozen doughnuts at the special price of $2.99, valid through July 3 (TIME Money).
- Shipley Do-Nuts: Participating locations are giving away free doughnuts from 5 a.m. to noon on National Doughnut Day (TIME Money).
- Randy’s Donuts: Customers get free doughnut holes at this Los Angeles doughnut shop from 6 a.m. to noon on National Doughnut Day (TIME Money).
- Lamar’s Donuts: Get a “golden ticket” for a free doughnut on Friday, plus a free 16-ounce Lamar’s cup with any purchase through Facebook (TIME Money).
- Duck Donuts: Head over to Duck Donuts’ Facebook page for a coupon valid for a free sugar doughnut on National Doughnut Day (TIME Money).
- Cumberland Farms: Purchase any coffee or fountain drink from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Friday and take your pick of a free doughnut (TIME Money).
- Honey Dew Donuts: Purchase any medium-size beverage and you’ll get a free (Up)Beat Cancer Doughnut, which is chocolate frosted, has blue and red sprinkles, and was created to raise cancer awareness (TIME Money).
- Fractured Prune: Not all of the Ocean City, Maryland-based doughnut chain’s locations are participating in National Doughnut Day, but most shops in Arizona are giving away free doughnuts (with drink purchase), and locations such as Owings Mills in Maryland are offering free OC Sand donuts (glazed, covered in cinnamon sugar) with no purchase required (TIME Money).