Dylan O’ Brien’s Injuries Shut Down ‘Maze Runner’ Shoot
The star was shooting a car scene for the third installment in the series, titled The Maze Runner: The Death Cure, in Vancouver, Canada on March 18 when the stunt went wrong and the 24-year-old was run over. O’Brien, who plays Thomas, the lead character in the post-apocalyptic franchise, was admitted to a nearby hospital with serious injuries, including multiple broken bones. Now 20th Century Fox, the studio behind the movie, has shut down production to give the actor more time to heal from his injuries, which are thought to be more severe than originally reported. “His injuries are very serious and he needs more time to recover,” O’Brien’s publicist, Jennifer Allen, told Entertainment Weekly in a statement on Friday. Film company 20th Century Fox said in a statement, “The resumption of principal photography on Maze Runner: The Death Cure has been further delayed to allow Dylan O’Brien more time to fully recover from his injuries. “We wish Dylan a speedy recovery and look forward to restarting production as soon as possible.” Production on the film had been due to resume in June, and director Wes Ball, who helmed the previous two movies – The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials – apologized last month after the accident. “Well, it’s been a whirlwind of emotions these past few days,” he wrote on Twitter. “I’ve been overwhelmed with feelings of anger and sadness and guilt. But, ultimately I find myself left with just a deep love and respect for Dylan. He is one tough cookie. “I’m sorry for the grief this accident has caused his friends and family as well as my wonderful cast and crew. It’s scary seeing your friend get hurt, but fortunately, Dylan is going to be just fine. After a few weeks of rest and recovery he’ll be back up and running to finish our adventure together,” he added. The Death Cure is still slated to be released on February 17, 2017.