Matthew McConaughey Interested in Reprising ‘True Detective’ Character
Entertainment| | By Sara Wilkins
Matthew McConaughey has discussed returning for a new season of True Detective with creator Nic Pizzolatto.
The 46-year-old actor played detective Rustin Cohle in the acclaimed first season of the crime drama, but he and co-star Woody Harrelson’s characters were not featured in season two, where Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn played the lead roles.
The show’s return was not as universally popular with critics and audiences as its debut, leading to rumors that bosses at HBO, the network which airs the program, might cancel it.
However the Texan star has revealed he has been in discussions with Pizzolatto about how to bring his character back for a third season.
“I’ve talked to Nic about it (returning),” McConaughey told chat show host Rich Eisen. “It’d have to be the right context and the right way. It’d need that spark like when I first read the scripts. When I read it (the scripts for the first series), I knew after 20 minutes that if I could play this guy Rustin Cohle I’m in.”
McConaughey seems particularly keen to return to the show due to the enjoyment he gained making the first series.
“I was a happy man when we made that for six months, because I was on my own island,” he explains. “And luckily my wife put up with me and she said I was pretty nice when I came home.”
Despite the rumors of the show’s cancellation, there could be room for a new series in HBO’s schedule.
The network’s flagship fantasy drama Game of Thrones is believed to be entering its final few seasons, while it was announced on Wednesday that another top HBO drama, rock industry period piece Vinyl, had been axed by bosses at the network.