Prince Died of Opioid Overdose – Report


 |  | By 


Courtesy of WENN Newsdesk

Singer Prince reportedly died of an opioid overdose.

The “Purple Rain” music icon passed away at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota on April 21, aged 57. An autopsy was conducted, but his cause of death was not determined because medical officials were awaiting toxicology reports. However, an unidentified law enforcement source has told The Associated Press Prince overdosed.


The singer’s health issues first made headlines on April 15, when a private plane he was a passenger on made an emergency landing at the Quad City International Airport in Indiana, so Prince could be taken to a nearby hospital by ambulance for treatment. He was released hours later. At the time, his publicist said he was suffering from flu-like symptoms. However, after his death, rumors circulated he overdosed on the plane and had to receive Narcan, a medication used to block the effects of opioids.

Following his death, reports also suggested the musician had the painkiller Percocet in his system, and sources claimed he was taking the drug to cope with a hip problem.

The singer was scheduled to meet with opioid addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfield, who runs the Recovery Without Walls addiction clinic in Mill Valley, California, a day after his death. The doctor sent his son, Andrew Kornfield, to meet the singer in Minneapolis after it became apparent Prince needed immediate help.

“The plan was to quickly evaluate his health and devise a treatment plan,” Dr. Kornfield’s family attorney William Mauzy told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “The doctor was planning on a lifesaving mission.”

Kornfield was expected to meet Prince on the morning of the April 21 however, according to Mauzy, he arrived at the mansion moments before Prince’s body was discovered. Sources told the newspaper Kornfield was the one who called police officers to the scene when the body was found in an elevator.

Meanwhile, shortly after the Associated Press article was published on Thursday, officials at the Sheriff’s Office of Carver County, who are leading the investigation into Prince’s death, said they had nothing new to report on the case.

The unidentified law enforcement official who reportedly spoke to the AP was not authorized to speak to the media, according to USA Today.

Later, the AP added it’s source was “a person with knowledge of the medical examiner’s plan,” who told reporters the autopsy report is expected to be released on Friday.


Share This Story On Facebook